Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ants and a Peanut (I say don't judge me, maybe because I'm already judging myself... :)

So the suggestion was 3 positive things but in the middle of the last blog post, I saw a bunch of ants gathered around a piece of food that caught my eye. I paused for a moment, wondering what it could possible be that I would have dropped (I don’t eat in my room much and I was pretty sure that I hadn’t dropped anything recently but to be more cautious). I went back to my blog and then when I looked back, it had moved a pretty good distance! The ants caught my attention! I got up and watched my step to avoid the ants (who weren’t in much of a line) and inspected what was going on.

They have half a peanut and moved it more than a few tiles in a short period of time! The fact that the only peanuts I have are creamy peanut butter and a devoured Snicker’s bar- I still have no idea where this nut came from! But I feel there is a lesson to be learned from these ants. Wild. I just saw another peanut half appear and was prompted to look under my bed. While some decent dust bunnies are appearing, nothing too appetizing. The original peanut has almost made it to my door- more than 7 feet away. I am too amused to care and seeing how they’re not in my bed- I don’t really have a problem with them. Once the food is gone, they will be gone. Gone with a peanut someone dropped at some point in time.

This lesson begs to have something to do with team work- while an ant can lift 10x its weight, no one ant can lift the peanut half by itself. Could the lesson also be patience and waiting to see results? It’s taking quite awhile for these ants to get away with an entire peanut- patience could be a lesson. What about the fact that they just made it to the door but the crack big enough for them to fit under won’t allow them to get a peanut half through? Well now I am sitting on the floor by my door watching the ants try to fit a peanut half through the crack…. (what does this say about my life? Maybe I really want to learn the lesson here- maybe I am that easily entertained…)

I was thinking it may be a lesson in ingenuity and creativity but it’s taking a bit for these ants to get the peanut out of my room- I’m now wondering if the lesson is about planning and foresight- just because I can work with others to follow a great idea (picking up a peanut) for the betterment of the colony- will it really work? Damn! My focus on the blog made me miss sight of the peanut and now it’s gone!

Nevermind- in a slight dip between the tiles, they slipped under the door and then- the peanut had completely disappeared under the door. They finally figured out to push the peanut since carrying it was making it too tall to fit. So I opened my door to see if the ants had made it to the other side and saw that my door shuts into a ledge maybe half an inch off the florr. So that means the ants will need to go under my door and then will there be enough space between the door and the ledge for them to squeeze the peanut between to get on the other side? I shut the door so they could continue their mission but hope I remember to look tomorrow to see if they made it. While maybe it’s possible to squeeze the entire peanut, another option is to break it into pieces? I’m not sure. Maybe the space big enough for them to enter will not be big enough for them to leave with their loot? I guess I’ll see tomorrow if there are any peanut halves and it will be really sad if I forget to look, seeing how much of my time, focus and blog they have taken! I can’t believe I just blogged about ants and a peanut!And there slips the second peanut under my door frame!

Okay- curiosity, impatience and a desire to have a completed blogpost (or we could say necessity to get up and turn the light off to go to bed, with the only light switch being right beside the door as a legitimate excuse to open the door and see if there isn't anything to see...).

Both peanut halves were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment