Friday, February 17, 2012

Only In Ghana- 3 Positives from Thursday, Feb 16th

1. Having been exposed to the international news network Al Jazeera while in Ghana, I have kept aloft of the news of and even heard a 30 minute live interview with the President of Iran. Last November, when traveling with another volunteer, we camped in a huge tree house (the tree was more than 100 years old) with seven other people, two of which were from Iran.

This was the first time I had ever actually met an Iranian and really only knowing what I had heard on Al Jazeera, treading carefully, asked her questions about Iran. She commented that she and her husband left because the government was being too controlling. While they both love Iran and their home country, the current rulers were being repressive. She had a degree in engineering and commented that while the government censors information coming into the country and sends out its own propaganda against the U.S., most Iranians are quite fond of U.S. citizens and any educated person maneuver around the censorship to know what is going on in the real world.

I was talking about this tonight after dinner with a volunteer whose parents are Iranian, yet she was born and raised in Malawi. I learned a little about her family’s experiences with the government and lack of basic human rights. Remembering an article I hadn’t yet read, I forwarded it to my friend so we could both see what the NYT had to say. While I thought the article (link below) did a pretty good job of telling a complete story and including various sources, I ended it knowing something was missing. So I hopped back on gchat and commented:

“The article does seem to beat up on Iran, but at least the focus is on the leaders and not the people, which makes me wonder why we aren't hearing anything from or about the citizens of Iran. While the article is clear it is commenting on the government, it would be good for Americans to be able to see the difference so they don't correlate the government with the people.”

If all we hear is Iran is bad- at some point does that make you think Iranians are bad? While we are an era of the fall of hard ruling dictators, I

While I have had the privilege of meeting my first three Iranians in Ghana (as my friend pointed out), I wish others in the U.S. were just as lucky. As the Iranian couple under the tree house in the middle of the Ghanaian jungle passed around freshly sliced apples and oranges to the other campers, I remember the wife commenting that she wanted to return to Iran and hopefully the government would change so she could return home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/world/middleeast/frantic-actions-hint-at-pressure-on-iran-leaders.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

2. I like playing in InDesign! While yesterday I was glad I was able to create the 3-page handout, today I am glad I was able to condense the content to less than 2 pages (I love condensing things- you should see me wrap Christmas presents!). Even better- it is even more reader friendly and makes more sense- one page one health safety and safe places to eat with the other page being safety. Between work and dinner I worked on the layout some and then after dinner got on it again- adjusting more for fun than necessity.

I am really excited because I am going to begin making technical posters for the staff and look forward to spending more time with InDesign. It reminds me of being in college, normally when a student comes home from “Thirsty Thursday” they eat a hotdog, browse the internet, maybe watch TV and crash. I enjoyed coming home, eating a hotdog and working on my latest homework assignment that wasn’t due for another week. Isn’t it great when you can’t distinguish between work and play?

3. Hummus! Randomly, there is a great Lebanese restaurant in Tamale. When I found out someone from work was headed to the bank (right next to Mike’s Place) I passed them 10 cedi and asked for some hummus. It makes such a good lunch! Hummus and pita bread are delicious and filling, yet I’m ready to eat when I get off work, which is idea because if we get to the restaurant around 5:30 p.m. and order, our food usually doesn’t arrive until 6:30 p.m. (usually later). It gets dark at 7 p.m. and depending on how much we chat or what we need to do that night, may not leave until as late as 8:30-9 p.m.! So being ready to eat dinner helps to get home with some time to do something before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment