Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Amazing Breakfast!

The hotel I am staying at in Accra, the Royal Richester, includes a free “American continental breakfast.” It’s slightly American, but more European. Monday-Friday there are two covered hot pans with eggs and some sort of sausage links in one and mushroom, pork and beans and a spicy type spaghetti in the other. The staff always seems surprised/confused when I don’t want beans for breakfast :)

Next there is a plate of cut pineapple and pears or papaya, a tray of bread for making toast, a few trays of pastries and a few trays with a slice of ham accented with a red pepper, a slice of cheese with a tomato on it and other such plates. At the end is a huge line of about a dozen condiments (ketchup, Tabasco and maple syrup are the ones I remember).

Then there is a hot water pitcher to make instant coffee or tea with and warmed milk, two large bowls of cereal- cornflakes and something else with cold milk. Upon request they will make you a Spanish omelet (two eggs, green peppers, red peppers, onions) and a pancake that is more like a sweet crepe than the American pancake- but I prefer the sweet crepe, I just add a bit of maple syrup out of habit and to add a little moisture but can enjoy one without syrup since it already has a sweet flavor.

Monday through Friday I pretty much eat the provided egg, sausage and toast with some pineapple or watermelon juice and a coffee or two. Saturday and Sunday, I eat strategically. I go all out and have them make me an omelet (2 eggs), pancakes (okay, 2 crepes), five sausage links, a piece of toast, coffee and pineapple juice. I can never finish it all but usually only allow myself to leave a few bites of anything. Today I literally left a bite of omelet, sausage and toast- it would have made a delicious bite had there been any room left for it! This is my favorite breakfast and in all reality, gives Country Kitchen or Denny’s a run for their money. (Fresh pineapple juice is pretty amazing!)

Now that I’m stuffed at 10 a.m., I won’t eat again until 4 or 5 p.m. and call it quits for the day. This way I can spend time doing things rather than having to worry about where I can and can’t eat.

It’s kind of funny the thing that got to me, in a sense. I’ve had stomach issues for a week now so am trying to eat tummy-friendly foods and that means no street vendors, which I haven’t had here anyways. If I didn’t have any stomach problems for a few weeks I might have tried the street food (it was so good in Thailand- best ever!) but since I’ve gotten sick somehow while erring on the side of caution I know I shouldn’t go there. But that’s what annoyed me. Like a 5-year-old I thought, “How come the locals get to eat street food and I don’t? This is so unfair. Why do we have to have such sanitary food in the U.S. that prevents me from being immune to any of these things?” I know the thought was completely ridiculous and childish, but the street vendor food looks so good, so local and so cheap! Someday maybe, but for now, I’ll stick to the safe stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment