Saturday, August 9, 2008

I finally turned 21!!!!!

It's been a little over a week since my last blog and go figure I would finally get the chance to blog on my 21st birthday! But don't worry mom- I have some good friends who surprised me with a cake and took me out. They were smart and we went out a few days before everyone had to start working at their venue. My pictures have not been wanting to upload to the internet lately so hopefully I can figure something out in the next few days- blogging is just more fun with pictures.

I have known for more than three years now that I would turn 21 on a Saturday- crazy how that doesn't seem to matter in the end. I spent the evening of the 8th at the Olympic Green and while I was not inside the bird's nest for the Opening Ceremonies, I was right outside of it. By far my favorite part was hanging out with the people who came to watch the ceremonies. Decorated people from all of the world (that almost seems like an understatement) covered the Olympic Green. We got pictures with or of people who were decked out in their nations shirts, flags, face paints, hats and so much more. Meeting those people was so much fun. I also 'worked' so that I could get pictures of the National Indoor Stadium filled with athletes preparing to walk in the Ceremonies. My job consisted of sitting with reporters! We then spent the rest of the evening outside meeting people, watching fireworks and the athletes as they walked from one stadium to the next. It was a great experience and at midnight, I turned 21 on a subway where my friends proceeded to sing happy birthday very loudly!

I woke up today tired but excited. I ate french toast for breakfast (the best ever, it's not served with syrup but doesn't need it!) and headed to the Olympics. Once I got there my nerves went crazy. Today was the Men's Gymnastics Qualifications. I got to see 98 male gymnasts and my job was to interview the US team which was in the first group. I talked with the US team captain Kevin Tan, which was like Fuwa on my birthday cake. Who interviews an olympian on their 21st birthday? Who is at the Olympics on their 21st birthday or even in China for that matter? I was star struck by my own dumb luck for a good portion of the morning. My job lasted from 10am to 1pm but I had had such an amazing experience that I wanted to watch the second round of mens qualifications (there were three divisions). 

I ended up staying at the National Indoor Stadium until 10pm, having McDonald's for supper, and watching the qualifications to the end. Some people would watch the competition from the office but why watch on television what you get to see in real life? I can always watch the Olympics on t.v. but I can't always watch them in real life- that is a once in a life time opportunity. I find it funny that going to an Olympics was never a dream of mine, mainly because I thought it was impossible and I wanted to wish for possible things- it's crazy how the impossible becomes possible when you don't even try. I got to see the key athletes and watch some smile without regret and others cry with broken dreams. Talk about culture- no two people had the same experience today- even as spectators we were from different countries, were different ages and had different expectations. I know what today meant for me, I can only imagine what it may mean to a French pre-teen, Brandon O'Neile who watched his dreams quickly fade, Yang Wei who performed amazingly in front of his home crowd, the Chinese volunteers who wouldn't let us sit in the good seats that were completely empty the whole day, David Durante who watched as all of the US Men's Teams alternates competed, the YMCA group from St. Louis, MO, or the chunky little boy who was bouncing around and screaming. Oh to see the world through the eyes of another. 

I am getting ready to go to bed now. I texted my manager and she said I could come in early tomorrow! I really want to see all of the 'Women's' Qualifications (I don't know if barely 16 counts as a woman) and get a good feel for what is going on. Sure I could sleep but everyone has Monday off while gymnastics takes a break before finals so I can sleep then. I had originally planned to get a long massage today and eat some American food and just relax but who cares? My birthday happens every year, the Beijing Olympics don't. The most entertaining one-liner I have, "I turned 21... and China has no drinking age." 

I am going to try and catch up on some much needed rest so I can be bright eyed tomorrow. There's a good chance I could have a 13 hour day tomorrow- and I couldn't be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment