Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One of the best day at the Olympics...

Today was the Gala and yes- it is all it is made out to be. Plus I am kind of famous. Beth and I did end up leading the athletes to their apparatus so I got to lead the way for athletes such as Nastia Liukin (USA), Jonathan Horton (USA), the oldest female gymnast and 5 time Olympian, currently from Germany but previously from Russia, Oskana C., a rhythmic dancer from a country that was formerly with the USSR, and Deferr, a Spanish male gymnast.  I hope to write more on the experience later- but it was a blast! I was told that the MU people who were sitting in the stands yelled my name when they saw me leading some of the athletes- I guess I'm famous now! :) 

It was great to rub elbows with them and get a picture with a few before the job started. It was a little stressful in the beginning but got easier as we went along- although I never was quite sure where to stand, but I did figure out to move for the photographers! One of the Chinese managers was in such awe over Nastia Liukin that he stepped right in front of  photographers who were taking shots like crazy over her, especially when she was doing her tumbling. The photographers were yelling at him and he didn't have a clue so I had to tap him on the shoulder- I don't think he liked being told to move, but I don't like him getting in other people's way, especially when they are trying to do a job. 

My favorite was Jonathan Horton, although I have collected quotes from him previously. He has given some great quotes and is a wonderful person to be around. Some of the other athletes only wanted to talk to other athletes, their coaches, or no one- making them seem a little stuck up, but I can't blame them- the Chinese workers and volunteers were constantly hounding them for pictures and autographs so it must have been bothersome, especially whey they were about to perform in front of a packed arena that holds 18,000 people. My favorite was talking with Shawn Johnson (USA) when she was talking about how crazy it was with everyone trying to get photos- it made going anywhere that much more difficult. She was also a really sweet girl to work with, always smiling and eager to start up a conversation. 

The experience has left me a little tired, but I am so happy I had the opportunity. I was even able to meet some very important people along the way, including the announcer for the evening and one of my favorites, Frank, an Australian worker who managed the technical equipment for the venue. He had a great sense of humor and was always good for a few laughs whenever we bumped into him. 

It was absolutely crazy when the show ended. Volunteers and athletes alike came onto the stage to take pictures and even after the athletes had left, the volunteers were able to look at a few of the apparatus' which was a treat in its own. It was nice to finally get a perspective of what the athletes had been performing on after having watched closely for more than 13 days. It was also a sad departure at the end of the day. We all met back at the ONS office to say good bye to our international managers. Even though we will all continue to work, we will be in different venues now. Sally (Australia), John (USA), Carlyle (India) and Denyse (Canada) were all wonderful people to work for and I hope to meet, or even work with, them in the future. We said farewell to our Chinese counterparts and are all headed out to night for a little celebration now that our work is 'done.' (About half of the group volunteered to continue working at the National Indoor Stadium venue during Handball finals, myself included). 

I hope to add pictures sooner than later- my memory chip filled up about 30 minutes before we left the venue but hopefully I can get the photos somehow! :) 

I hope everyone back home had a great summer- I am actually starting to miss home, even though I am having a blast here. Can't wait to see everyone, I hope you didn't forget me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment