Monday, August 18, 2008

I spy with my little eye...

I saw the perfect body today- in almost 100 different ways! It still amazes me at the physique of a  gymnast. On average, they are shorter and pure muscle. Of all the tricks, maneuvers, and physical capabilities of a gymnast, flexibility is by far the most impressive to me. 
I have trouble keeping my legs perfectly straight and touch my toes. These boys can lift their leg above their chest at any given moment, do flits and twirls in the air then catch themselves hanging from only a bar, and the biggest shock to me- they can do more than a complete split, where their legs end up slightly behind their waist! I hurt for them. 
I will admit, since the first time I watched an Olympic training session, I have been doing daily stretches. I will never be as flexible as an Olympian but to improve my current abilities a little will make me happy. :) 
I will add though that I prefer training practice to podium practice because the boys don't wear shirts! :p It's like watching a Leonardo Da Vinci sketch come to life. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who can take a GOD given body and get it to reach its maximum potential without using drugs like steroids. I can't even imagine the time and effort that goes into getting a physique like that, it's not something I will ever accomplish (partly because the height of a female gymnasts career is when she is 16 so I am past my maximum potential age) so I have even more respect for the person who dedicated countless hours and sweat and the inevitable injuries to reach that point. They are Olympians and deserve the title and respect that comes with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment