Tuesday, July 8, 2008

“Are you the official note taker?”

I thought it was my journalistic side, but since I am one of only a few others and take notes to a greater extent than anyone else I guess I am a record keeper. I just know that I am going to be told and learn a lot of interesting things that I will inevitably forget or only partially remember. This was I can refer to my notes when I want to mention an interesting fact in a story or article and be accurate. I hate telling information incorrectly and this helps prevent that. I was the same way on the I-CAL trip- I have learned from past experiences that I will retain more of what I write down and thanks to Andrea’s idea, I now type my notes up- this way I can actually use them because they will be organized and legible!

When we were at the People’s China Daily website office I was asked by a reporter if I was the official note taker, and while I am not I gave her my name and address and blog so she can refer to it or I can do some posting for her if she would like. Both publications we visited today are very interested in our experiences. A large part of their coverage is about people like us, the volunteers so it’s a win-win for both of us, they get a US volunteer perspective and as journalists we get to be published in print or on the Internet.

One thing I find very interesting and has been noted by many, is how important the Internet is for social development in China. The news industry has been a forerunner in taking advantage of this. The People’s Daily provides news via print, Internet and cell phones. Readers can subscribe to news that will be texted to their cell phones or access news via the Internet that is cell phone friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment