Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sun 5th: Early to Bed, Early to Rise

By the time we got in that evening I was exhausted. I passed up on a chance to go out- I was just fine with a peanut butter sandwich (I hear everyone was about ready fall over themselves they were so tired). I finished watching ‘No Reservations’ and fell asleep about an hour into ’50 First Dates’ at approximately 8pm. I woke up at 9pm and shut my computer off and got in bed. I was wondering at one point if my roommate had ever come in the night before- I never heard here come in, shower, skype or anything- but I wouldn’t, I’m kind of a rock star at sleeping like I’m in a coma. But as I’m sure you would guess I woke up the next morning at 5:30am and had to wait around for 4.5 hours for everyone else to wake up before we went… shopping! Me, Erin, Laura, Danielle, and Molly went to the nearest mall, had some Starbucks, did some window shopping and decided to go to a market, the kind where you negotiate to get cheap clothes, purses and shoes.

As we left the mall we had to get a taxi and since there can only be four people in a cab at once we split up two and three. Me and Laura and Molly were riding on the taxi and I was in the front because I am good at acting like I know what I am doing and we didn’t want the driver to take advantage of us by charging too much. I was sitting in the front and the driver answered his cell phone then handed it to me- it was his friend who wanted to practice his English- I guess? Then all of a sudden the driver started to act funny and I gave him the phone back- he started to poke buttons and the car proceeded to die on the middle of a bridge. He pointed for us to walk back that way we had come so we started trotting down the middle of a four-lane highway!

            The next taxi cab didn’t understand our poor Chinese pronunciations correctly and took us farther than we wanted him to but since we were just trying to get to a subway stop he got us in an area that had one and once we got our bearings about us, we started our subway experience.

            It took us long enough to figure out the subway ticketing system and then after getting directions we started on our way. It was very nice and shiny new. We took some fun pictures and the fun stop when we got to the train station- finding the other two girls. I found out that the subway is right under the Poly Theatre where they have Chinese Opera. Once we found the girls we bumped into some Americans wearing Iowa shirts. They are working for the Olympics too. We exchanged numbers and talked for about 20 minutes. We then headed off for a 30-minute walk to the market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment