Monday, July 28, 2008

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

Even though the US dollar is become weaker as time passes, comparatively China is still a much cheaper country to buy goods and services. Among my favorites are the transportation, food and especially the massages. For the first time in my life I got a massage and it was nice. I have been going to Bodhi for weekly massages and even though it is an up scale spa with professionals and an impressive list of treatments, a 60 minutes massage is only 95 RMB Monday through Thursday before 5pm (95 RMB is apx. $14). I know that I’m not going to be getting professional massages at spas when I get back home and have at least 4 years of school left so it’s going to be awhile before I can afford weekly massages again so I am going to do enjoy the good life while it fits into my budget.

So far I have been to Bodhi four times and have enjoyed it each and every time. China is a very different culture than what I am accustomed to and can cause a lot of tension. This is by far the hardest country I have ever had to assimilate to and that in its self causes a lot of stress. I think that is a good excuse to get a massage and even if it isn’t, it’s the reasoning I’m using.  Plus, my 21st birthday is during the first week of the Olympics so it’s like a present to myself with a little extra since I will not get a chance to celebrate my birthday until I get back to school and that’s only after I get caught up with classes, internships, clubs, work and life. By this  point I have thoroughly convinced myself to continue getting weekly massages and I hope you agree.

My favorite part so far has been the older lady who gives me my massages when I go by myself. She is the sweetest little lady and reminds me of a picturesque grandmother figure. Everyone is so nice and it is an amazing escape from the busy city that is always pushing and never looking back- plus I get complimentary drinks and I have discovered my love for hot tea this summer. If you’re ever planning a trip to Beijing, you must stop here- it will be your saving grace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment