Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 1: Thursday July 3rd

Thursday morning my roommate, Aja, and I woke up and went to Water Stone for breakfast. I had a pork flake roll. I ate everything but the pork in the middle- it was just a little awkward. We chatted with a few of the grad students, Kelly and Laura. We then headed to class where we started the morning off with a group photo. After we got situated we heard a few opening remarks from Renmin University’s Vice Chancellor and then Michelle from BOCOG, The Beijing Organizing Committee of the 2008 Olympic Games. She introduced us to the different supervisors and some media reporters. We received our letters of acceptance and cell phones before signing our lives away. I was in shock and awe when they called my named, the Chinese woman pronounced my name perfectly- a feat most Americans can’t manage. Julia was super easy and Shuck sounded the way it should- I was quite possibly the only person who had their name pronounced correctly.

We then got to try on our shirts- that ran small, pants- that run big, and shoes- that ran REALLY small. We got a chance to meet our advisors. Gymnastics is the biggest group but should be the most fun, we get a few extra perks but I am still a little confused on the exact details so I will wait to report on that until the Olympics! We were given our schedules and staring July 15th we have training 7 days a week, 8 hours a day- more than any other group. It’s going to be more intense, but that just means I am going to get more out of it. 

We were then taken to a canteen (dining hall) where it resembled a mad house. People were everywhere and some lines were quite long, but you got to see the food and point to what you wanted. I really liked getting to see and choose my food it makes life so much easier to just have to point and not wait for a surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment